Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Doctor who?

For whatever reason, I've been thinking lately of going back to school. I know, am I insane? Probably! I have always enjoyed learning and school. Despite the associated stress, I quite enjoyed doing the research for those lengthy papers I wrote. I remember trying to squeeze oodles of information into my brain my first semester while still working full time. It was a challenge, but I loved it! 

I've come to realize something about myself lately... I don't generally settle for just okay. I like to move forward and upward. I think that's why I have always danced: there has always been something more to learn. Maybe that also explains why I haven't settled on a firm career path yet either. I know I can do many things well enough to get a foot in the door, and I know that once I'm in I will work to move up and improve. 

That said, I've been looking at doctoral programs. Mostly (only) at the University of Utah. Partly, that is because I have researched in the past and know some of what is available in other branches of my field in different states. Performance Studies- UCLA, UC -Riverside, NYU, and one in Illinois or Washington. Irish Studies - Boston, a school in New Jersey in quite literally the middle of nowhere. University of Texas is great for the Art History folks, as well as those interested in Pre-Columbian cultures in the Americas. While I haven't researched it a great deal, the University of Utah has a Ph.D. in Communications within the Humanities department. It has different aspects of emphasis, and I imagine they would yield to some interdisciplinary study that would facilitate my particular interests in the Humanities: dance and literature. 

What to do? Applications for the coming year are due fairly soon. As in extremely soon. If I can take a class or two and go slow, that is one thing. If the times require me to be a full-time student... well, I don't think that is the right option currently. I am leaning towards looking into it and seeing what is involved. That will also involve questions about career paths and job placement assistance post-graduation. (As a side note, I find it interesting that only a week after getting a full-time job, I get the impression that I might do well by returning to school. Fact? Fiction? Interesting at the very least!) What to do? What would you do? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should just work, get new roommates and get involved socially in a new ward. That would fill the void you are feeling. Getting heavy into school would only make it harder to get involved socially-which I think is the most important thing for you right now.
Love you!

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson