Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thoughts on Happiness + Getting personal


This post may get a bit personal. But I don't know that anyone reads my updates too much these days, so I'm just going with it. 


It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life's story will develop.


―Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Despite how difficult circumstances may look at the moment, those who have faith and move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

―Gordon B. Hinckley

 In life as in the dance, grace glides on blistered feet.. 
Alice Abrams

I've been thinking a lot lately about happiness. What it takes to bring true, enduring happiness. For me, I'm beginning to realize that happiness and faith are closely linked... especially on the big things. Obviously, a donut always makes me happy. Dancing makes me happy. But intangibles that bring happiness - successful career, love, friendship, marriage, acceptance, etc. - really require faith that happiness is possible even in their absence. 

No one would ever confuse me for a bubbly, happy optimist. I am generally a happy person, but I've got enough of a serious side and realistic side that I'm just never going to be pegged that way. I'm a person that feels deeply. When I chose to care and invest myself in something, I don't do it halfway. I've known this about myself for some time. It's arguably as much of a weakness as it is a strength. 

So here arises the conundrum. How do you make a gentle transition into committing to someone without over committing? History says that I am no good at this. I've been realizing lately though, that it's a matter of focus and a question of what I'm committing to. I have to commit to things I know and trust. 

I know that I am a catch. 
I know that I've been promised that I will get married. And I know it's coming. That means that I'll have to meet a young man who wants to date and court me first. I know that will happen, too. 
I have an amazing job.
I have been blessed with numerous talents.
I have more friends than I think I do.
I have a fabulous family and extended family. 

And I trust that:
If I commit to the Lord, then I can commit 100% like I always do. And He can take care of the rest. 

And He will. 

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Hello wonderful!

Although it's not every day, I always check in through your blog to see how things are going. I rarely comment, and I'm sorry for that. But, I actually love to read your thoughts. Especially concerning your journey to know Heavenly Father better. I read about your struggles and how you are coming to know Him better through them and it seriously buoys me up and makes me try a bit harder. So, thank you for that! And I'll try and comment more so you know I'm here. :)

As far as over-committing is concerned... I'm not sure if this is true for everyone or just me, but I don't think you can over-commit too soon or too much if that person is the right person for you. I am totally like you, Er. When I was dating I definitely gave my all to every relationship and I gave all of me quickly. If I knew I liked someone why not commit fully? And, inevitably I was always the one to get hurt in the end. BUT... what a blessing that was because I knew I had something great when I met Josh...he was different than the others. He committed fully and quickly to me. Just as I committed fully and quickly to him. I didn't feel like I loved him more than he loved me, like I had in every other relationship I had ever had. So, even though this opinion comes from my very limited experience, I still think that who you are meant to marry will commit to you just as much as you commit to him! And, again only in my opinion, you shouldn't have to be scared to scare him away. But, I guess everyone's story is different.

I'm sorry if you didn't want advice or opinions about this kind of thing. :) I can't help myself sometimes.

I think about you often! And I can't wait to hear about the next installment of your spiritual progression.... because after reading about your progression I inevitably become better myself. Love you Er!

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson