Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Good news minute

Remember, friends, I'm not in Provo anymore. That means this good news minute has nothing to do with engagements, dating, or exams. It has to do with my ...


new job!!

That's right, I'm now a first grade teacher at Challenger School in Salt Lake City. Technically, I'm not a "teacher" yet, but by the end of the month I will be taking over my class of 27-28 students. The school is pretty rigorous, so I don't have much (read: any) latitude in decorating my classroom. Campuses are in California, Utah, Nevada, and maybe another state, and they want uniformity for the students. So, if you go to a 1st grade class in California, then transfer to mine, it will look the same. I didn't become a teacher to decorate, though, so that's not a big deal to me. 

Why did I become an elementary school teacher?? That's a good question, and I'm not sure I have the answer. Obviously, I needed a job. And I have experience teaching, albeit at the college level. And I quite enjoy teaching, on a personal level. If I could make the bookoo bucks at any occupation, I would teach college. If I had desired to teach elementary students, I would have majored in that. For whatever reason I'm unsure of, I felt like teaching was the right step for me to take. I surely prayed, fasted, and attended the temple enough that I trust  the Lord helped me find this position. Whatever happens, I feel like I can make a small difference in the lives of these children. I know they will make a difference in mine, if only to train me how to handle young children! I also get the benefit of being able to continue pursuing my hobbies of dancing and traveling. 

The Lord works in mysterious ways. I don't usually understand the why until long afterwards, if it even comes then. But I do know it is worth it. Now I can focus all my prayers on some unsuspecting young man....... that might take a bit longer than finding a job did!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I love it! I think you will be a fabulous teacher. Good luck with the new school year!

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson