Saturday, November 3, 2012

My Future ... taking input

Options I am considering for my future, as the job hunt is a brutal reminder that whatever plan I had before isn't panning out super well at the moment. 


  • Go back to school and get a Ph.D so that I can teach as a college professor. 
    • This will cost a lot of money.
    • This will take probably 3-7 years. 
  • Go back to school and get a different Master's degree: Instructional Design, MBA MPA...
    • Taking suggestions for this. 
    • I think organizational behavior would be cool. 
    • I do have 3 years work experience, so I'm probably qualified on that part.
    • I don't know which school I'd go to and it will cost a lot of money. 
    • Not sure what the end game is with this course of action.
  • Get started with a teaching certificate
    • I can either do the Alternative Route or go back to school and just pound it out (I think)
    • End goal: Teach high school language arts, writing, etc. Or even humanities!
  • Take a job that doesn't reflect my education or skills but that will open doors ... eventually..... for further progression. 
    • I would get paid. 
    • I'm not sure what the end goal is here. 
  • Do other stuff for a few (many) months, wait for teaching jobs at BYU to open, and apply to teach English there. 
    • I hate to think I'd still be searching for a job after all that time, but this is a viable and attractive option to me as well. 
My current plan while I wait/search/interview/wait is to do freelance writing and substitute teaching. You know what I really want? I really just want to understand where the Lord wants me to be so I can go there, find a job there, and contribute there. 

5 comments:

The Gladdens said...

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I just wanted to say I TOTALLY feel your pain right now and every time you post on facebook about trying to find a job. My husband has been trying to find a job for what feels like forever, and it is the most frustrating thing. We are living with his parents just waiting for a job so we can move out. I know the Lord has a plan for us, but don't understand why it takes so long to figure out what the plan is!!! I have to keep reminding myself of that talk one of the general authorities gave during conference about being happy in life even during the trials instead of waiting for better times, but boy is it tough to do. Hang in there!(and of course I'm speaking to myself as well here.)

Cherie said...

I feel for you, but here is the best advice I have ever received. Think about where you want to be 5 years from now, then think of where you want to be 10 years from now. Where do you live? What kind of home do you have? Are you married? Single? A pet? Do you work in a city? Are you managing people? Then think about what you can do today to get there. Some things are completely out of your control, but take the things you can control make a plan then just pray and proceed.

Colin said...

come stay with us for a couple of weeks. look for jobs or just enjoy the change of pace. seriously.

VictoriaMurray said...

Sorry sweetie! Feel your pain! Matt graduated in 2009, took the first job he could find(nothing to do with degree and working nights). He's been looking for a better job since and he just got one. still not using his degree, but he's on days now and has the potential to move into a position so he will use his degree. he's had so many interviews that it was hard to keep in mind that the Lord had a better plan. I know its hard. good luck!

Sherrie said...

I second what Colin says :)

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson