Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thankful


Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.

One thing I really enjoy about November and Facebook is that so many people have jumped on the thankful-a-day bandwagon. It's fun to see the good things in peoples' lives. Positivity is a powerful influence! As I've been continuing the job search, as well as over the past few months, I've had ample opportunity to self-analyze. Which is why I really enjoy this quote from Emerson. As a transcendentalist founder, he believed in the innate goodness of man and nature. The soul was very important as part of man, and I think it there is great truth to the idea that nothing can bring you peace but yourself. I use my faith and religion, rather than transcendentalism, but the basic idea holds. External factors aren't the true source of peace. It's about the soul finding peace. 

Well, I didn't mean to wax philosophical there. Where I meant to go was how my journey to finding peace has been closely related to how I look at the world around me: if I express thanks for the good things in my life. Here's just a few of the things I'm thankful for this November!

1. I have an amazing family and extended family that loves me!
2. I am in a ward where I am making friends.
3. I get to sleep in a lot.
4. I have the chance to develop my writing skills through freelance employment.
5. I'm sort of employed (see #4 and substitute teaching).
6. I have the opportunity to dance in the Christmas Concert and Clog America.
7. I get to practice interviewing a lot. 
8. I got to enjoy a beautiful snow storm over the weekend.
9. I'm blessed with wonderful friends who are examples, pals, and personal cheerleaders.
10. I went to a great eye doctor who gave me a discount and is helping my eyes be happy. 

No comments:

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson