Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lessons Learning

So my dad would write my missionary brothers each week on their missions. Having never served, I sometimes envied them for the contact and attention they got. I love my dad and we have good talks, but I generally talk to my mom when I call home. So a few years ago we struck a plan to improve our communication across the distance and busy lives we lead. Every so often (and generally when they're most needed personally) my dad sends me a thought of the day. Truly, many of them have come at inspired moments. The other ones are great reminders of his love, and help me consider my day and activities. 


For example, this week my dad sent me a quote by Galileo. 
have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him.   -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)
This week part of our math lessons involved learning the names of lines: horizontal, vertical, and oblique. A very smart teacher would find ways to incorporate those terms during other lessons throughout the day. It took one of my students to make me realize this. We were doing editing marks in grammar and she said to put an oblique line through the letter (a slash to show the capital letter should be lowercase). Brilliant!! I was thrilled with her answer and used her example for myself, to then incorporate those terms the rest of the day. Obviously, I know way more than a 6 year old. I can talk about all sorts of crazy theories and concepts. But it took my student to help me see how to weave my curriculum together for my students. Everyone has something to teach us. 

Thanks for that reminder, Dad! 

No comments:

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson