Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sabbath Morning

There was a time when I was much more vigilant about reading conference talks on a consistent basis. My new ward doesn't meet until 1pm, and since I can't sleep in much later than 8:30 these days, that left me a lot of time to think this morning. And read. I should have spent more time reading, I imagine, but..... oh well. I did manage to make my way over to LDS.org for some inspiration. The new conference issue is available! A quick scan of talk titles quickly revealed which one I needed to read: You Matter to Him, by President Uchtdorf. The weeks and months since early August have been a long string of uncertainty, change, and newness. I like change. I thrive in that environment, even. But the big life changes often carry significant stress and anxiety. I've woken up many a time at 4 or 5 am, fully awake and filled with a sense of... expectancy? Uncertainty? Anxiety, most likely. Not having a home. Not having a job. Moving to a new home. Interviewing for jobs. Not getting jobs. Getting a job! Starting a job by diving headfirst with minimal preparation.... Dating. Not dating. Finding my way in new social settings. Making new friends. Missing old friends. I am generally emotionally-stable and can handle a large amount of stress without many negative effects. But it definitely has been building up. So, with my internal reserves wearing thin this week, I found these final words particularly encouraging and applicable. 



"...please understand that what you see and experience now is not what forever will be. You will not feel loneliness, sorrow, pain, or discouragement forever. We have the faithful promise of God that He will neither forget nor forsake those who incline their hearts to Him.21Have hope and faith in that promise. Learn to love your Heavenly Father and become His disciple in word and in deed.
Be assured that if you but hold on, believe in Him, and remain faithful in keeping the commandments, one day you will experience for yourselves the promises revealed to the Apostle Paul: “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”22
Brothers and sisters, the most powerful Being in the universe is the Father of your spirit. He knows you. He loves you with a perfect love.
God sees you not only as a mortal being on a small planet who lives for a brief season—He sees you as His child. He sees you as the being you are capable and designed to become. He wants you to know that you matter to Him." 
What a blessing, to know you matter to God. If He cares for me, the other things don't matter quite as much. He'll take care of me. He has in the past. I have been richly blessed in so many ways, and if I can just keep my perspective and be firm in my commitments and covenants, I know I will be blessed continually. 

No comments:

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson