Monday, October 10, 2011

Mi confessio

I need to be interesting in my titles. My current inspirations are 6 year olds and their lesson plans. Not all that creative. So I apologize up front for the rather obvious nature of my title. And whatever other lack of creativity you may be about to encounter. 



All hail to Lisbon, the famed port of Portugal which taught and launched many a seafaring adventurer, including Cristobal Colon (Christopher Columbus). While Spain funded him, he got all his mariner training from the Portuguese. I think he may even be depicted on this massive monument in Lisbon. And controversial though he may be, he did do what others had not thought of before. It was easy once he showed them the way, but he blazed the trail.

That's not really why I started writing tonight. I'm writing for emotion. Much as I am very happy to be in a new city, working a new job, and living with awesome "roommates," it has been an emotional journey. Wards here are not like the ones at BYU. My friends are either in Provo/Orem, or they're married. I literally can count on one hand the number of real friends I've made up here so far. (I'm trying, too. But sincere friendships aren't just a dime a dozen.) Being single  may not be so oppressive on Friday nights, they way I often felt in Provo, but it's no picnic here either. I committed the cardinal dating sin and got excited for my last date. It's a sure-fire recipe for disappointment. The date wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't end how I thought/hoped it might. He may still call, but I can't tell. Hence, you should never get excited for a date. Many nights I go to bed sad, wondering when that opportunity will come my way... what I need to do in the meantime... Tonight, though, I've passed enough time that I should really get to sleep. 

For what it's worth, I bought a new pair of jeans the other day. Skinny jeans. In a smaller size than I thought would fit. Bam. They look good. 

And I'm going to see Savion Glover in November. Double Bam!

1 comment:

Jenny Alama said...

Dang it! I'm sorry it wasn't all you thought/hoped it would be. Fez will be disappointed too. But nice job on the skinny jeans!!!

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson