Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 14: Our Path of Duty by Keith B.McMullin

Lots of prayer thoughts today... in the chapel at the temple the first two songs were "Did you think to pray" and "Secret Prayer." While there I also had time to talk to God in prayer. Can I be really honest? I'm still working on the hearing and understanding the answers part. I think everyone gets answers in their own that speaks to them. Oh, I've figured out some key aspects of how I get answers, but.... I know there's more ground to be covered there. Anyways, I'll come back to that in a minute. Other prayer moments included me desperately praying out loud in my car as I drove less than a mile to the gas station because my re-fill light had just barely kicked on. Seriously, I kept begging that my car be able to make it to the gas station. Perhaps I worried too much, but for what it's worth, there was a point in that 5 minute drive - after about a minute of repeated please let my car make it to the gas station, please let my car make it to the gas station, please let my car make it to the gas station - when my gas light turned off!! And a few moments later I turned safely into the gas station and sidled up to a pump. Another prayer moment was when I talked to my mom and she mentioned that she has been praying for me to find the right place and situation to live so I can get more involved socially. I love living with the grandparents, but my current ward arrangements are.... atypical, and haven't brought about the social scene they way I'd like to have it. This journey has definitely made me more cognizant of prayer moments in my daily life. One thing I need to keep working on, as mentioned above, is the answers. 

I changed my prayer search tonight to look for info on answers to prayer. In fact, "answer to prayer" was the keyword search that yielded this wonderful talk by Keith B. McMullin. (PS I know his nephews.) He talks about our duty, and has a section specifically on prayer. I'd like to copy it here below for you, as it's longer than the typical verse or two reference. Before I do, I just want to mention a few things that stood out to me. 


  1. The eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers.  1 peter 3:12
  2. It is our duty to pray.
  3. Prayers need to be harmonious with heaven (this is the challenge for us... to achieve that harmony!)
  4. The Holy Ghost enlightens us while we receive answers to prayer. (Maybe this is the key for me to understand my answers better.)
  5. These kinds of prayers bring forth the blessings of heaven!!! Sign me up!

How Do We Know Our Path of Duty in the Midst of Crisis?

We pray! It is everyone’s sure way to know; it is everyone’s lifeline to heaven. Said the Apostle Peter, “The eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers.” 18
Humble, sincere, inspired prayer makes available to each of us the divine guidance we so desperately need. Brigham Young counseled, “At times, men are perplexed and full of care and trouble … ; yet our judgment teaches us that it is our duty to pray. 19
Jesus taught:
“Ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; …
“Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name; …
“Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.” 20
For prayers to be efficacious, they must be in harmony with the plan of heaven. The prayer of faith bears fruit when such harmony exists, and this harmony exists when prayers are inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit manifests what our petitions should be. 21 Absent this inspired guidance, we are inclined to “ask amiss,” 22 to seek only our will and not “Thy will.”23 It is as important to be guided by the Holy Spirit while praying as it is to be enlightened by that same Spirit while receiving an answer to prayer. Such prayer brings forth the blessings of heaven because our Father “knoweth what things [we] have need of, before [we] ask him,” 24 and He answers every sincere prayer. Ultimately, it is the Father and the Son who promise, “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” 25
I bear my witness that our path of duty is clearly marked by an undivided faith and belief in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the power of prayer. This path is to be traveled by all of God’s children who love Him and desire to keep His commandments. For the young, it leads to personal achievement and preparation; for adults, it leads to renewed faith and resolve; for the older generation, it leads to perspective and endurance in righteousness to the end. It equips every faithful traveler with the strength of the Lord, protects him from the evils of the day, and endows him with the knowledge that “the conclusion of the whole matter [is to] Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 26 In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson