Monday, February 4, 2013

Day Two: Deuteronomy 4:29

What a beautiful set of scriptures and music for this evening... My mind has been a-stirring and a-whirring this evening with largely inconsequential concerns. I didn't really expect that one day after starting my journey I would feel significantly different, but nor did I expect to feel so angsty about little things. Maybe it's a test? Something to cloud my access to the Lord?

Well, in searching for my prayer scripture tonight, I used the handy dandy Gospel Library App. One of the first results that came up was the following. Topical Guide: God, Access to. See also Prayer. For some reason, that brief combination of words was exactly what I needed to ponder on tonight. Accessing God is so seemingly simple. In fact it is truly simple... as long as we don't forget in the ease of that access. I feel like prayer forms a bridge between us and God. He's already got His side very well built, but gaining access through prayer builds my side of the bridge. 

Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all they heart and with all thy soul.

He is not playing a game of hide and seek... God is there waiting in plain sight to be found! The verses in that chapter continue, saying that (4:31) He is a merciful God that will not forsake me or forget me. Mind you, these verses are in reference to the children of Israel, prophesying and promising to them after they have turned to false idols. These promises apply to us in our greatest weaknesses and imperfections! (4:39) There is none else in heaven above or the earth beneath. 

My final thoughts on prayer today touch on the duality of prayer. Notice how 4:29 talks about using all our heart and soul to find God? I find it meaningful that, while prayer is a physical act, so much of the processes is embedded in our spirits through pondering hearts. Feelings spur our intent to pray, and answers we receive generally come in feelings to our hearts as well. But without the physical practice of prayer, I think communication easily gets muddled and loses quality. For me, at least, my prayers are best when I make a conscious effort to kneel and speak. 

Prayer is the bridge we use to access God. It's a bridge we walk and meet along. I want to make sure my side of that bridge is in good repair. I'm not sure what outcome I'm expecting and watching for as I continue forward, but I'm a great believer in the power of journeys. 

No comments:

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson