Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day One - we must pray

8 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning this thing. For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.
9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul. (Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi, Chapter 32)

I like this to start off my journey. First, it reminds me that the urge not to pray is from Satan, not The Lord. That includes giving in to how tired I am! But even more than that, I love how these scriptures say that prayer should preface our acts and consecrate them to The Lord. I'm familiar with doing that before my numerous dance performances, but it means more than that. So, I decided to pray tonight and consecrate this journey I'm embarking on.

***************************************************************************************************************
It's been too long since I really talked to God with a sincere heart! At least, it feels like a long time. I decided to pray vocally, as that helps my mind stay focused. It was nice... I like feeling that conversational interaction. I definitely felt the Spirit, including very strongly when I made a special request. One thing I hope to learn over his next 25 days is how to better hear what the Spirit is saying in those moments. For tonight, the peace and connection will suffice.

What is your favorite scripture about prayer?

1 comment:

Raeann said...

I love story of Enos's prayer. I love how he prayed for the duration of the day into the night seeking a remission of sins. And than he sought the souls of the Nephites and than his enemies the Lamanites. I thought how the Lords answers to his prayers were so pure and filled with love. Such love. Such charity.

Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith. ~ President Thomas S. Monson